Pain Control

You may experience cramping similar to menstrual cramps for 48 hours after the procedure.

You may take “over the counter” pain relievers that do not contain aspirin such as acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or ibuprofen (Motrin® or Advil®). Do not exceed the daily recommended dose.

Your doctor may have prescribed a narcotic pain medication to use as well.

Note: If the pain is not relieved by pain medication, becomes worse, or you have difficulty breathing, call our office.


You may resume the diet you had prior to surgery.

Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.

Urinary Function

For the first couple of days following surgery, you may experience discomfort with urination due to catheterization of your bladder during the procedure.

If you have persistent urinary urgency, dysuria, or inability to empty your bladder, please call our office.


You may return to your normal activity one day after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work one day after surgery.

Do not drive while taking prescription pain medication or if your level of discomfort could inhibit your ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.

You may shower the day after surgery. Do not soak in a bathtub for one week after surgery.

Vaginal Bleeding and Discharge

Vaginal bleeding like a period, spotting, brown discharge, or watery discharge are expected for up to two weeks after surgery.

Note: If you have heavy, bright red vaginal bleeding soaking one pad or more per hour, call our office.

Sexual Intercourse

Avoid placing anything in the vagina for two weeks (i.e. tampons, douching and sexual intercourse).

Follow-up Appointment

You should schedule a follow-up post-operative appointment at two weeks and at six weeks.

Call the Office if You are Experiencing:

If you feel you need to be seen urgently, please go to the Emergency Department where your surgery was performed so that our physicians may care for you.

Any questions regarding your surgery or post-operative recovery should be directed to the staff at the Women’s Clinic of Johnson County rather than your Primary Care Physician.

Call the Office if You are Experiencing: